Referral Process

Case Resolution Process

Referrals to Coordinated Access come from professionals involved with the child/youth.  They are typically but not exclusively social workers, psychologists, case managers, child and youth workers employed within the children’s developmental service sector or protection services.  The primary worker identifies a child/youth with multiple complex special needs and contacts CA’s case coordinator to check eligibility and forwards the completed application form.

  • Workers are encouraged to access our website in order to assure they complete the most recent applications.
  • The applications include a document or assessment that confirms the child/youth’s diagnosis, a summary of the case presentation, a summary of the case presentation, request being made and consent forms that need to be fully completed.  Consent forms are valid for a period of 6 months.
  • Application forms can be mailed, faxed or couriered to our office.
  • The primary worker is responsible for completing the application and forwarding any other pertinent documents.
  • Once received by our office the file is reviewed to assure that:

criteria are met (see above for client profile)
all involved professionals are aware of the referral and agree
all necessary documentation is included
request being made is complete, precise and appropriate

  • The file is then triaged to one of the following options:

1. Coordinated Access Team Resolution through direct referral to one of the “tool box” services, such as funding, the funded bed
2.  Case Resolution Committee.  The Committee will be used for cases in which there is:

  • no clear resolution about what would best serve client
  • a record of multiple systems failure in case history
  • need for an exceptional solution to make a difference
  • need for multiple agency collaboration

Note: If required Coordinated Access may invite Ad Hoc members required to participate in the Case Resolution Committee process if deemed appropriate and in the best interest of the child/youth. The Ad Hoc members may be from the following agencies: School Boards, The Ad Hoc members may be from the following Agencies:  School Boards, Community Integrated Support Services, Canadian Mental Health Association, Youth Services Bureau, Crossroads Children’s Mental Health Centre, and residential and respite service providers, among others